COVER preview: Milan highlights
Here COVER presents some of the highlights of Milan Design Week 2017—the best rug and textile shows to see at the grand event this week (3-9 April).
- ‘Heavy Metal – Precious Textured Flatweaves from Colombia’ at the Alberto Levi Gallery, via San Maurilio 24 – An exhibition of handmade flatwoven rugs made of vegetal fibres native of the Andes combined with strands of metal such as copper and tin. An exciting look at new floor coverings from South America.
- cc-tapis, Piazza Santo Stefano 10 — The Milanese brand celebrates the opening of the firm’s new showroom at Fuori Salone with rugs designed in collaboration with Patricia Urquiola, Martino Gamper, Federico Pepe, Alex Proba, Zaven and Mae Engelgeer plus an installation titled ‘Inventory’ featuring a new collection by Faye Toogood. With a stand at Salone del Mobile (Hall 6 stand E40) and various other collaborative projects cc-tapis rugs will be scattered far and wide across the city. The latest issue of COVER magazine will be given away at the new showroom and cc-tapis’ Salone stand. Not to be missed!
- Henzel Studio at Superstudio Piu, Tortona 27 – The eye-catching Henzel Studio Heritage: Andy Warhol collection, designed by Calle Henzel in collaboration with The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts and curated by Joakim Andreasson, will be showing at Superstudio this April. (Image: ANDY WARHOL, Marilyn, 1967, Tarfala Permafrost Night Edit, 2016, Design by Calle Henzel (In situ)
- Paola Lenti, Via Orobia 15 — Paola Lenti will be premiering the 2017 outdoor rug and furniture collections in a great new setting—via Orobia 15, an old, industrial site dating from the beginning of last century.
- Salone del Mobile, Rho — As one of the most important design shows in the world Salone is hard to beat for high end design companies. This year see new rugs by firms such as Sirecom, cc-tapis, Golran, Amini and Moret, who will be showing a new collection by Matteo Cibic, including the rug Twist. Other brands include Bolon, Moroso and Kasthall. Don’t miss getting a free copy of COVER on the cc-tapis stand.
- Nodus, Chiostri facoltà Teologica dell’Italia settentrionale, via dei Cavalieri del Santo Sepolcro 3 – Innovative brand Nodus will return to the cloisters in Brera to show off a new range of rugs created in collaboration with big names in design. This year see Particles by London- based Shiro Studio, which pays tribute to the philosophical work of Gottfried Leibniz.
- Nilufar Depot, viale Vincenzo Lancetti, 34 — One of the best destinations to visit during Salone, Nilufar’s Depot is a tribute to all things design. The Nilufar gallery on via Della Spiga, 32 will be dedicated to the Brazilian designer Joaquim Tenreiro and London-based Michael Anastassiades.
- Karpeta, via Pietro mascagni 6 — Karpeta launch a new rug collection (un)Fold featuring pleats. We can’t wait to see the designs!
- Ventura Lambrate, Lambrate station — Every year the area is packed full of innovative design by young makers and graduates. This year see Just a Rug? by Danish Estonian design team Laurits Prasnicki, textiles by Roos Soetekouw and weavings by German designer Salem van der Swaagh, who features in COVER 46.
- Bolon, Salone del Mobile Hall 16, stand B27 — Bolon’s exhibition ‘Innovators at Heart’, showcases the firm’s experimental and collaborative approach to material production. Among the many new products and collaborations will be the Bolon by Jean Nouvel collection, a new soft rug collection.
- Rossana Orlandi, Via Matteo Bandello, 14/16 — Another fantastic venue for Milan Design Week, packed with innovative new work chosen by Orlandi. This year Indian company Scarlet Splendour return with new designs including rugs by Nika Zupanc. Mariantonia Urru will also be showing beautiful weavings at the show.
- Bonotto, Palazzo Durini / Bonotto Showroom, Via Durini, 24 — Weaving technologies will be showcased alongside Miniwiz tools and techniques in a live display of unprecedented possibilities in 100% recycled, single-material, luxury fashion.
- Moooi, Via Savona 56 — For Salone 2017 Moooi Presents ‘A Life Extraordinary’ featuring Levon Biss’ Microsculpture photography and a selection of new Moooi Carpets including the latest designs by Kit Miles.
- Golran, via Pontaccio 8/10 and Salone del Mobile 7, M36 — Golran will present the collection Hunua by Piero Lissoni along with new designs of the Lake collection by Raw Edges at the firm’s new flagship store in Brera and at Salone del Mobile.